Fighting in Yemen continues despite a temporary cease fire agreed on Saturday which was supposed to ease international relief efforts, as the exiled Yemeni government said that Saudi air strikes killed 35 near city of Aden.
The Yemen truce was brokered by the United Nations and went into effect on Saturday, with its announced duration in one week, as the organization oversees aid and emergency delivery to the country’s population who are suffering from widespread poverty and lack basic necessities after their country has been ravaged by months of civil war and Saudi bombing.
No signs of it entering into effect were across Sunday night though, as Saudi Arabia and its allies continued its airstrike campaign along the southern part of the country, reportedly killing at least 10 overnight.
The airstrikes continued into Sunday, mainly targeting Houtii-led Saada in the north and their positions in the South, including the country’s capital of Sanaa. Ground combat is also in effect along the country as the Houthi are fighting coalition-backed loyalists, who fight in the name of exiled President Abd-Raddu Mansour Hadi, currently coordinating troops from Riyadh.
Loyalist and coalition soldiers have assaulted and captured a suburb of the southern city of Aden on Sunday, one of the most important Yemeni strongholds, as the assault left thirty five Houthi and five coalition/loyalist fighters dead. Reuters quotes that witnesses have also reported a continuation of air strikes in the capital Sanaa on Sunday.
Civilian casualties have also been reported in the province of al-Baida, as a family of eight traveling by car was hit by airstrikes leaving none surviving, whereas two other casualties were reported in the city of Taiz.
Houthi factions and their allies also attacked a tank which provides water supplies to the crowded central Aden neighborhood of Crater, as witnesses reportedly told Reuters.
Coalition spokesman Ahmed al-Asier, Brigadier-General in the Saudi army, did not deny the ongoing airstrikes, telling the press that the truce will not stand as the Houthis are unwilling to respect their part and the United Nations have not send ground observers to monitor its status and violations.
The main Houthi news agency, Saba, has stated that 12 people were killed during the latest coalition airstrikes, claiming that they also targeted medical centers which were linked to the main military hospital in Sanaa and supply convoys.
The coalition of Arab states organizing the bombing is officially acting in the name of exiled Yemeni government, against the Shiite Iranian-backed Houthi which gained control of the country earlier this year.
Image Source: Al Jazeera