Elizabeth Smith from 4S Ranch, California, nearly died at the local hospital after suffering a massive brain stroke nearly 2 years ago. A woman suffered a head stroke after visiting a beauty parlor, where she asked for a head wash.
Nearly 2 years have elapsed since the accident that could have killed the 48-year old woman from California. According to Smith’s testimony, the whole incident occurred in December 2013. The woman went to the Blowbunny Beauty Salon in order to have her hair washed.
The beauty session went on without an incident, and, according to Elizabeth Smith, she only spent around 10 minutes in the hair washing chair. However, one week later, Smith began to accuse various symptoms like weakness in her left leg and her left arm and numbness in her left part of the body.
Surprisingly enough her symptoms seemed to have vanished as quickly as they appeared. Naturally, the woman didn’t pay any attention to her condition, probably saying that the weather was to blame for her symptoms.
However, after a couple of days, Smith’s conditions took a turn for the worse. Elizabeth Smith, the mother of two children, began to vomit and to feel disoriented. Moreover, she also declared that she felt a hotness in her head and that she was not able to move. The mother also declared that she also experience the same weakness in her left arm and leg.
A few moments later, Elizabeth Smith suffered a massive brain stroke and had to be rushed to the local hospital for emergency surgery. Luckily, the doctors managed to help her in time.
In a press interview, some of the neurologists in charge of Smith’s case declared that the woman from California is very fortunate indeed because this whole affair could have easily become a tragedy.
When asked about her condition, the doctors declared that the woman suffered from a rare condition called Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome. As unlikely as it would might seem, this condition is real and it has been documented.
Beauty Parlor Stroke syndrome can occur when the head frame of a shampooing chair is not adjusted to support the client’s neck. Brain strokes in this case usually occur because the hyperextended neck vertebrae can slice one of the brain arteries. This event can lead to the formation of clots that can cause strokes if they reach the brain.
Although Smith was discharged from the hospital, she still has to wrestle with the after-effects of the brain stroke. According to her statements, she still feels feeble and she has some issues in keeping her balance. Unfortunately, the 48-year old woman from California still has a clot lodged inside her brain.
Being too far deep into the brain, the surgeons declared that it is inoperable. They’ve also told the woman if the clot moves by a few inches she will die.
Naturally, the woman press charges against the beauty parlor, as her medical bills now amass to over a quarter of a million dollars.
A woman suffered a head stroke after visiting a beauty parlor due to a condition called Beauty Parlor Stroke syndrome. Smith hopes that the trial will raise awareness among the general public about the dangers of getting your hair washed at a beauty salon. Moreover, she intends to coerce the other beauty salon owners to pay more attention to the client’s needs.
In addition to their comments regarding misses Smith conditions, the neurologists also made a few recommendation about using shampooing chairs. They’ve said that persons suffering from arthritis should not use shampooing chairs, but rather to ask the stylist to wash their hair with their head facing down.