The accidental exposure to liquid nicotine, a dangerous substance used in electronic cigarettes, claimed life of a one-year-old child in New York on Tuesday.
According to the police, the toddler was found unresponsive after ingesting liquid nicotine at his home in Fort Plain, New York. Then he was rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
In a statement, Fort Plain police called the death a “tragic accident”. However, they declined to comment on whether the liquid nicotine to which the baby was exposed to was associated with an e-cigarette.
The toddler’s death has raised the concerns of health officials in the United States as electronic cigarettes continue to rise in popularity.
Health experts say ingestion of liquid nicotine can prove to be fatal for our children even if exposed to smaller doses. Hence, necessary measures need to be taken to cut the growing incidents of fatal accidents.
“One teaspoon of liquid nicotine could be lethal to a child and smaller amounts can cause severe illness, often requiring trips to the emergency department. Despite the dangers these products pose to children, there are currently no standards set in place that require child-proof packaging,” said the American Association of Poison Control centers in a statement on Friday.
Excluding the current case, the only confirmed death associated with liquid nicotine occurred in the year 2012 when a man injected the deadly substance himself, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
The sale of liquid nicotine is sold legally in New York.