Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is the next cabinet member that will be out of the West Wing. He said Saturday that he’s resigning from his post in the Trump administration because of the cost of fighting off “false allegations.”
“I love working for the President and am incredibly proud of all the good work we’ve accomplished together,” Zinke wrote in a statement on Twitter.
I love working for the President and am incredibly proud of all the good work we’ve accomplished together. However, after 30 years of public service, I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars defending myself and my family against false allegations. Full statement attached. pic.twitter.com/gwo75SA6bM— Secretary Ryan Zinke (@SecretaryZinke) December 15, 2018
“However, after 30 years of public service, I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars defending myself and my family against false allegations,” he added.
Just hours before that statement, President Trump announced on Twitter that Zinke would be leaving his post by the end of the year. This is the latest shift in the make-up of Trump’s cabinet and senior staff.
The interior secretary has faced a number of allegations of violating ethics rules during his 21 months in office. The Interior Department’s Office of Inspector General recently referred one case to the Justice Department for potential prosecution. Zinke faces an accusation that he entered into a land deal with the chairman of oilfield services company Halliburton.
He’s also been accused of letting his family ride in government vehicles and trying to replace the department’s internal watchdog with a political ally.
Zinke has emphatically denied violating ethics rules and alleged that the accusations are politically motivated.
“The allegations against me are outrageous; they’re false,” he told Breitbart News last month.