According to a new survey, the numbers of concussions among children and teenagers have significantly risen in the last years. More precisely, ever since 2007, the number of concussions doubled. Doctors are trying to raise awareness on this subject, teaching individuals how to recognize a concussion and how to react when confronted with such a case.
According to the CDC, there are two different types of concussion symptoms. The observed signs, meaning those that could be observed by a third party, and the reported symptoms, which are those experienced by the patients.
The Observed Concussions Signs are:
- The inability to remember the events that happened before or after a fall or a hit.
- The victim appears stunned or dazed.
- In the case in which the accident occurs during a sporting competition, the individual that was hurt forgets basic instructions, seems confused when talking about a position or an assignment, is unsure of the opponent, score, or even the game.
- The victim moves clumsily.
- The affected person loses consciousness, this can even happen for brief moments, it would look like falling asleep instantly.
- The individual answers questions very slowly, it appears like he or she is struggling to find the words.
- The victim displays personality, behavior, or mood changes.
The Reported Concussion Signs are:
- A feeling of “pressure” in the head or a severe headache.
- Vomiting or nausea.
- Problems with dizziness or balance. Sometimes it could be both paired with blurry vision.
- Light and noise sensitivity.
- The victim may feel hazy, groggy, sluggish, or foggy.
- The affected individual might be “feeling down” or “not feeling right.”
- The affected person might feel confused, experience memory loss, or an inability to concentrate on something.
Usually, the symptoms appear briefly after the incident. However, there are plenty of cases when the severity of an injury can only be assessed after a couple of hours, even days.
Parents are advised to know how to recognize a concussion and be weary of the signs of the affliction. In the case in which they observe one or more of the above-listed symptoms, they are advised to immediately report to the emergency room.
Image source: Wikipedia