A judge is going after the New Jersey couple who raised nearly $400,000 in a GoFundMe campaign for a homeless man. They apparently only gave him a portion of the money and kept the rest for themselves.
Last year, the couple started the social media fund raising campaign for a man who spent his last $20 to buy gas for the woman after she was stranded along a highway.
Johnny Bobbitt, the homeless man, said that most of the money did not go to him. It was spent by Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico, the couple behind the GoFundMe drive. The couple has denied any wrongdoing in the matter.
The total amount raised would have been $360,000 after GoFundMe’s fees. Bobbitt said he received approximately $75,000 in cash, goods and services. He claims the couple took lavish vacations and made expensive purchases with the rest.
The couple claimed through their attorney they gave Bobbitt $200,000.
So on Thursday, a search warrant was executed at the couple’s home in Bordentown, New Jersey. A judge has ordered the pair to appear in court next week.
In the meantime, GoFundMe has issued a statement saying that Bobbitt will receive the balance of the funds he deserves.
“Johnny will be made whole and we’re committing that he’ll get the balance of the funds that he has not yet received or benefitted from. GoFundMe’s goal has always been to ensure Johnny gets the support he deserves,” the statement read.
The statement was written by GoFundMe and attorneys Cozen O’Conner on behalf of Bobbitt. It continued by stating that the platform is backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee.
“[This] means that in the rare case that GoFundMe, law enforcement, or a user finds campaigns are misused, donors and beneficiaries are protected. We’re fulfilling that commitment today and we will continue to work with Johnny’s team to make sure he’s receiving all donated amounts,” it read.