Senator, Al Franken, who has been accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct, issued an apology this Thursday saying that he “crossed a line for some women.” The Minnesota Senator has vowed to regain the trust of his constituents.
“I’ve met tens of thousands of people and taken thousands of photographs, often in crowded and chaotic situations. I’m a warm person , I hug people,” said Franken in a Thanksgiving Day statement.
The senator added that he has learned from his past behavior and apologized to the Minnesotans for putting them in the spotlight.
The latest statement is a response to the recent allegations brought up by three women. They claim that Franken inappropriately touched them while they posed for photos with him. Two anonymous women said the senator touched their buttocks during political events in Minnesota in 2007 and 2008. The third woman, Lindsay Menz, accused Franken of groping her at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair, while he was still in office.
The senator apologized to his fellow Minnesotans and promised to regain their trust.
“And let me say again to Minnesotans that I’m sorry for putting them through this scandal and I’m commited to regaining their trust.
Last week, Los Angeles radio host, LeAnne Tweeden, came forward and alleging that, before he was a senator, Franken kissed her without her consent. He later inappropriately touched her while she was asleep. The last incident occurred when the two were on a USO tour in the Middle East to entertain US troops. Tweeden backed up her story with a photograph where the senator appeared to have been groping her breasts.
After hearing Tweeden’s story, Senate Majorate Leader, Mitch McConnell, called for the Senate Ethics Committee to investigate the senator for sexual harassment. This was later echoed by other senior Democrats. Franken has said that he will cooperate in the investigation.
Franken, who is currently serving his second term, has no plans to resign, according to a spokesman of his.
Image Source: WikipediaCommons