Electronic cigarettes are more dangerous than they were thought to be. They can blow up in your face while you are smoking. This happened to a man and his teeth were blown out in the explosion. He was admitted to the ICU immediately. Doctor Elisha Brownson, the one who treated him, said that she has never seen anything like this in her life. Many people who use such mechanisms can experience some problems while using them, but these types of injuries are rare.
He was not the only one who experienced this type of problem. More people were harmed by their own electronic cigarettes while they were using them. Now doctors say that they see almost 2 people with these injuries every month. This is alarming for both doctors and users of electronic cigarettes. They were believed to be dangerous because they affect the respiratory airways but nobody thought that they could explode.
The batteries used in the production of these devices are usually really safe but some of them can overheat. Once that happens, the devices can blow up. From October 2015 to June 2016, 15 patients experienced this and were admitted in the UW burn center.
There were 2 types of burns, 33% of patients experienced chemical burns from elements of the batteries and 80 % of them had flame burns. Moreover, 27 % of those affected had also had blast injuries.
Some of the electronic cigarettes exploded while they were in people’s pockets and caused a thigh injury which was the most common place of injury. 33% of people had an injury on their hands and 20 % on their faces.
The list of injuries goes on. Patients lost their teeth and some of them also lost portions of their soft tissue.
Doctors advised users of electronic cigarettes to be aware of the fact that the devices can explode anytime.
The FDA took the e-cigarettes under jurisdiction but no one knows if they are going to do some regulations with the batteries as well.
Dr. Brownson also said that people should keep the device unaltered and store the batteries safely after using the device. Despite these safety precautions, doctors mentioned that the device could blow up anyway.
The doctors expect more and more people to the hospital in the future because people are starting to quit smoking and are trying to replace it with this type of devices.
Image source: Wikipedia