Dish Network Corp. has discontinued its association with Fox News Channel or Fox Business Network after they failed to come to a consensus on terms and condition in a new distribution pact.
Releasing a statement in this regard on Saturday, Dish said that both Fox News and its parent firm 21st Century Fox Inc. attempted to use the contract talks as leverage to hike the fees for other entertainment and sports channels.
“It’s like we’re about to close on a house and the realtor is trying to make us buy a new car as well. Fox blacked out two of its news channels, using them as leverage to triple rates on sports and entertainment channels that are not in this contract,” Dish’s senior vice president of programming Warren Schlichting said.
Those contracts have neither expired nor were part of the Fox News and Fox Business agreements.
Currently, Dish enjoys a whopping 14 million subscribers across the nation. The company had been under rigorous talks with the two Fox channels for the past several weeks.
According to Dish, it has given a short-term extension for both Fox News and Fox Business while the talks were on. But Fox countered that Dish had prematurely pulled plug on the channels.
Tim Carry, the Fox News executive in charge of distribution, said, “It is disappointing that, after nearly two decades without a blackout, Fox News Channel has been blocked by Dish Network.”
This is the third time this year when Dish customers have to suffer a blackout because of Dish’s intransigence.