Some people who experience unexplained dizziness, headaches, and skin irritation blame their symptoms on a condition known as electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS), the World Health Organization (WHO) stated.
In a survey, the participants who claimed to suffer from electromagnetic hypersensitivity said that they experienced symptoms like fatigue and headaches whenever they were in the close proximity of devices like cell phones, Wi-Fi stations, and computers. Their symptoms were alleviated once they removed themselves from the signals, according to the researchers.
However, a 2009 review of 46 scientifically controlled tests in which the participants were exposed to electromagnetic signals but were not told when the signals were switched on and off, found that the people who claimed to suffer from electromagnetic hypersensitivity could not tell when the signals were present.
Dr. James Rubin, a senior lecturer in psychology at King’s College London, said that people who claim to have electromagnetic hypersensitivity are certainly ill, but that based on scientific evidence, the illness is not caused by electromagnetic signals.
The World Health Organisation also stated that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not a medical diagnosis, since there is no link between electromagnetic hypersensitivity and exposure to electromagnetic frequency (EMF).
For the 2009 paper, the researchers looked at studies analysing symptoms in more than 1,000 people who said that they had electromagnetic hypersensitivity. The results were clear: under controlled conditions, repeated experiments could not replicate this phenomenon. That means that Wi-Fi is not to blame for people’s symptoms, according to Dr. Rubin.
Not too long ago, the parents of a 12-year-old boy – who supposedly suffered from electromagnetic hypersensitivity – filed a lawsuit against the private school in Massachusetts the boy was attending, claiming that the school’s Wi-Fi system triggered the boy’s health problems.
The boy had symptoms such as rashes, headaches, itchy skin, dizziness, nose bleeds, and heart palpitations, but they only arose during school hours. Doctors could not diagnose the boy’s symptoms. After an evaluation of the school’s Wi-Fi system, experts concluded that the levels were within the safety parameters provided by the Federal Communications Commission.
In France, a woman who claimed that electromagnetic hypersensitivity led her to live without electricity in a barn in the mountains was awarded a disability settlement. Even though the woman’s symptoms were ruled as disabling, the court did not recognise electromagnetic hypersensitivity as a medical condition.
Image Source: manchitronews