Sadly, Sir Christopher Lee has passed away at the age of 93, after having been hospitalized due to respiratory and heart issues. He was a truly complex artist and a person with an extensive life experience that greatly surpasses his reputation on the big screen.
He is best known for playing an endless amount of villains in wide variety of films. His most beloved characters are Count Dracula, that has managed to bring Christopher Lee to fame and Count Dooku from the Star Wars Franchise.
However, his majestic portrayal of the charming and powerful vicious wizard Saruman from The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy has placed Lee into the hearts of every fantasy fan out there.
Since Sir Chistopher Lee has accomplished so many notable things in his lifetime, we would like to provide you with a list of 10 things you might not know about him.
- Sir Christopher Lee has starred in over 200 films in his career and is attributed 281 actor credits on his Internet Movie Database (IMDB) page, that include voice credits for films, animated motion pictures and computer games. He was actually working on two films before he died.
- He has served in World War II as part of both the Royal Air Force and the British Intelligence.
- He has been knighted by the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) during the 2001 ceremonies for the Queen’s Birthday for his services to drama and charity.
- According to the University of Virginia, he is “the center of the Hollywood universe” since it takes an average of 2,59 step for anyone in Tinseltown to be linked to Christopher Lee.
- He is 6,5 feet tall and has been included in the Guinness Book of World Records as “The Tallest Leading Actor”.
- He has played villains in as many as 85% of his many films and therefore known as an universal villain by the general public.
- He was the only member of the Lord of the Rings cast to have personally met J.R.R. Tolkien and therefore he has contributed with an extensive input in the production department. He said that he has been reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy once a year for very many years, as they have a special significance for him.
- Due to the the nature of his grave deep voice, Christopher Lee has actually recorded heavy metal records, his most famous being “Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross” for which he was granted the “Spirit of Metal” award at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods ceremony in 2010 .
- He is a descent of the Borgia family, as his mother was a countess of the Cardini family, that were united with the Borgias through marriage.
- He was awarded the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Academy Fellowship in 2011 by one his favorite directors to ever work with, Tim Burton.
There are many more amazing things that could be said about the life and the impressive career of Sir Christopher Lee, but it is probably best that you watch your favorite one of his films so as to pay homage to this titan of cinematography. He will remain in our hearts for years to come though his amazing characters.
Image Source: tvtropes.org