A day after US president Barack Obama held North Korea responsible for the serious cyber hacking attack on Sony Entertainment Network while citing the findings of the probe by Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), North launched a scathing attack at the United States warning of strikes against the White House as well as Pentagon and “the whole US mainland, that cesspool of terrorism.”
North Korea accused Obama of “recklessly” spreading rumors that it was a Pyongyang-orchestrated cyber-attack.
Last week, the FBI has held North Korea responsible for November’s hacking on Sony Entertainment, where crucial data and private emails of the company were leaked and the employees at Sony and their near and dear ones were threatened via emails.
But North Korea vehemently refuted the US claims saying, “We have means to prove that this incident has nothing to do with us.”
“As the US is spreading groundless allegations and slandering us, we propose a joint investigation with it into this incident,” the North Korean foreign ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the international relations experts said that such actions are routine work during times of high tension with Washington.
Obama has also said that Washington will review its list of state sponsors of terrorism in order to find whether to put North Korea back on that list.
Meanwhile, China spoke for the first time over the severe issue by saying that it opposes all forms of cyber attacks. But the Asian country denied directly condemning the Sony hacking incident or commenting upon US allegations against North Korea.
“China opposes any country or individual using other countries’ domestic facilities to conduct cyber attacks on third-party nations,” the Chinese foreign ministry said in a statement following its Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s conversation with US Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday.
China, which is considered to be North Korea’s only major ally, didn’t make any direct mention of North.
South Korea, which is technically in war situation with North, said on Monday that its computer systems installed at the nuclear plant operator had been compromised during cyber attack and several non-critical data were stolen. South, however, clarified that there was no risk to its nuclear installations or reactors.