The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on Thursday slapped a record USD 70m (£46.4m) on Japanese automobile company Honda for not submitting the report on deaths and injuries caused by its vehicles to the government.
“Today’s announcement sends a very clear message to the entire industry that manufacturers have responsibility for the complete and timely reporting of this critical safety information,” NHTSA head Mark Rosekind said.
In November 2014, Honda admitted before the regulators that it has failed to report as many as 1,729 cases of deaths and injuries occurred between July 2003 and June 2014.
Under the ‘Early Warning Reporting’ system, the automobile companies are needed to disclose claims they receive from their customers blaming vehicle defects for deaths or serious injuries.
In a statement, US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, said, “Honda and all of the automakers have a safety responsibility they must live up to. No excuses are welcome.”
According to the Honda officials, they would change the company’s internal reporting.
The company’s officials said that Honda was fined two different penalties of USD 35m each. While the first one was for failing to report the deaths and injuries, the second fine was for failing to respond to the warranty claims made by its customers.
This is the largest civil penalty so far slapped against a carmaker by the US administration.
In 2014, the regulatory agency issued over USD 126 million in civil penalties, including the USD 70 million fine levied against Honda that the auto fimr agreed to in December last year.