Public health authorities have warned tourists visiting Mexico not to drink 7-Up, as some of the bottles tested positive for methamphetamine in laboratory settings. Several people were taken to hospital after being poisoned with meth in Mexicali, Baja California.
Arizona’s Banner Health found that one person died in Mexicali after drinking a bottle of contaminated 7-Up. Seven more landed in the hospital with the same issue. Mexicali is located south of California border, around 230 miles from Phoenix.
Local authorities couldn’t tell how the highly addictive drug ended up into the sweet beverage. An investigation is ongoing as Baja attorney general’s office said on Facebook. Authorities are interested in how meth got into the soda bottles.
Meanwhile, all 7-Up bottles were removed from local stores over safety concerns. Dr Pepper Snapple Group recently announced that no product in the U.S. was contaminated. Dr. Pepper sells the 7Up brand in the U.S.
U.S. Products Not Contaminated
The company made it clear that “the issue” did not affect 7Up products sold in the United States. It underlined that Dr. Pepper distributes the brand only in the U.S., not globally.
Health experts recommend checking the seal of any beverage or food to avoid contamination. Products can be easily tampered with by malicious people. Also, consumers should pay extra attention to any discoloring or change in taste or smell. If there’s suspicion the product may be contaminated it should be thrown out.
Experts warn that contamination of sugary drinks can be fatal. Meth poisoning has several symptoms including burning sensation in the gut or esophagus, vomiting, nausea, irregular heartbeat, and abnormal taste in the mouth.
Consumers who suspect they have been poisoned should also call 911 or the Poison Control center in their area.
Image Source: Flickr